At a youngster’s birthday party a weekend ago, a relative portrayed a newly opened piece of clothing as smooth yellow. The comment helped me to remember the artist Donovan Leitch, who scored an immense hit with a melody with that rhyming two word title.
That name evoked memories of the years I burned through tuning in to the majority of Donovan’s stuff, running from his people shake beginning to his hallucinogenic late Sixties material to his more rational accounts of the next decade. Almost as fascinating as his awesome music, nonetheless, is the rundown of insights about his associations with different artists and his family
Here are eight cool things about the craftsman who gave us the “Daylight Superman” and the “Hurdy Gurdy Man.”
1. He sang on the long hold back in the last 50% of “Hello Jude” by The Beatles, which in 1968 was a main hit for the band. Paul McCartney furnished a proportional payback by giving the great foundation vocal on Donovan’s crush single “Smooth Yellow”, supposedly whispering the expression “appropriately” between the redundancies of the two rhyming title words.
2. In the mid Seventies Donovan gave the support vocal on the title track of Billion Dollar Baby by Alice Cooper, rehashing the abstain starting “We go moving daily in the loft while the moon is ascending in the sky.” When the hold back returns toward the finish of the tune, Donovan sings the lead while Alice Cooper gives the sponsorship vocal.
3. He showed up in the 1967 Bob Dylan film Don’t Look Back, playing out the tune “To Sing For You” before Dylan himself plays “It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue” from the Bringing It All Back Home collection.
4. Future Led Zeppelin individuals John Paul Jones and Jimmy Page played on the greater part of the Donovan collections delivered by Mickie Most, exemplary LPS, for example, Sunshine Superman, Mellow Yellow and Hurdy Gurdy Man.
5. Donovan composed a humorous variant of his Top Ten single “Atlantis” to use on the vivified sitcom Futurama in a scene titled “The Deep South.” Instead of the legendary town depicted in the first hit of the late Sixties, nonetheless, the farce specifies the Lost City of Atlanta.
6. His child of a similar name and girl Ione Skye Leitch are both understood Hollywood stars. Leitch, Jr. picked up his first notoriety as a lead part in the 1989 motion picture The In Crowd, and Skye scored her first enormous part in the great film Say Anything with John Cusack.
7. He is the stepfather of the Julian Jones Leitch, the child of Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones. Donovan started a sentimental association with the previous sweetheart of Jones, Linda Lawrence, whom he later wedded in 1970.
8. For the collection Wear Your Love Like Heaven, the society shake craftsman created hallucinogenic music to the William Shakespeare ballad “Under the Greenwood Tree.”